Monday, July 30, 2007

Stronger Intellectual Property Protections - About Time

I'm all for stronger intellectual property protections, which I know puts me somewhat in the minority in the IT world. I also agree that attempted infringement should be a crime, just as with any other crime.

The linked story has an interesting quote:

One of the bill's controversial features is the fact that people can be charged with criminal copyright infringement even if such infringement has not actually taken place. "Any person who attempts to commit an offense under paragraph (1) shall be subject to the same penalties as those prescribed for the offense, the commission of which was the object of the attempt," says the bill.

I'm not sure why that's considered controversial. In fact, it sounds pretty much like the definition of "attempted crime." It would be like someone attempting to mug a passerby, when the police walk up behind and arrest him. No mugging, but still a crime.

Perhaps the controversy there is that the penalty is the same as if the infringement occurred. I really don't know if that's the case with most attempted crime penalties; if not, then I suppose it is a bit odd.

No comments: