Monday, July 23, 2007

Global Elders for Our Global Village (Gag!)

Here's a very particular take on the "Global Elders" (Nelson Mandela, Desmond TuTu, Richard Branson, Peter Gabriel, Jimmy Carter, Kofi Annan, Li Zhaoxing, Mary Robinson, and Muhammad Yunus) who plan to do something. I haven't commented on it myself until now, because I don't get what it's all about and the group includes Jimmy Carter and Kofi Annan, who exemplify ineffectiveness and corruption, respectively--thus warranting more study.

I do like this quote from the post, which was quoted from the group's Web site:

We are moving to a global village and yet we don’t have our global elders. The Elders can be a group who have the trust of the world, who can speak freely, be fiercely independent and respond fast and flexibly in conflict situations.

Wow. "...moving to a global village..." As if, Iran, Syria, North Korea, and other rogue states are just huts next to ours, and our Global Elders will smoke the peace pipe to resolve conflicts between us.

I swear, I don't know how people get that much time on their hands. Although I do believe I understand the psychology behind the thirst for power and delusions of grandeur.

No comments: